Monday 4 May 2015

A Dull Weekend; A Plug

I have been feeling pretty rotten all week, and The Wife has been ill, both of which conspired to create a Bank Holiday weekend of unparalleled dullness.  I had to miss Diceni, and really couldn't face going out elsewhere.

Normally when I'm in this situation I get the credit card out and add to the lead mountain.  I've ascertained that my sister didn't buy the present I pointed her to at Christmas (not necessary a given, even though it's May) and as it's on offer again at Northstar, I may get it.  They seem to have a lot of things on offer at the moment - including some of the Wargames Factory range, Ironclad Miniatures' VSF vehicles and some of the pirate sets Northstar produced for the ill-received On The Seven Seas (Did I really see that it was up for an award?  That probably says more about Ospreys' acumen in making submissions than anything about the game.)  If I was being consistent, I'd order some of the figures I highlighted when discussing 'non-standard' cults the other day.

But, despite having saved by not spending money at Diceni, I'm not sure whether I can afford to spend money on the hobby.  To tell the truth, I'm more than a little out of sorts with the whole set-up.  I can't bring myself to join a club and have to interact with strangers, so I hardly ever get a game in, and (perhaps as a consequence) I haven't picked up a paintbrush since I crashed out of the painting challenge at Christmas.  My blogging has dropped off accordingly, as some of you have noticed.

A cheap way to add to the pile would be win one or more of the prizes in Ray's Mega Blog Giveaway.  To celebrate 500 posts, Ray is running a competition with a generous (no less than 18!) array of prizes.  There's some nice stuff, so go across and look (but don't enter!)

16 comments:

  1. I do understand your feelings, go to that place quite a lot and am not in a club for very similar reasons. I tend to walk away from the hobby for a while until an unknown and unexpected trigger restarts my enthusiasm.The challenge sparked my longest stint in the hobby ever but despite starting a blog even the last 2 months have been quiet. Pretty sure it's true for all hobbies, and life in general

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been here before and I'll be over it soon enough.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Edwin for mentioning the Ironclad Miniatures sale over at North Star. I was about to show order some for Partizan, but now, with those savings, I'll make my purchases online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very nice, those steam tanks. I have one already and would like to get more for my Lost Worlds.

      Delete
  3. Hi Edwin, I'm sorry you're not feeling well and had to miss Diceni. Thanks for the tip about Ray's giveaway. I'm spread pretty thin on the blogs these days and have trouble keeping up with everyone. I liked your take on cultists, I always thought they had a sort of Spanish Inquisition look that somehow the triple K adopted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Edwin a picture of you LARPing would have been nice but life moves on. I think we all add to the lead pile when we are down. The "Lunatic" (as a reader of my blog I know you know whom I mean) is so named on my blog because he crazy about not meeting strangers or letting them even know his first name hence the nom de plume. So I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closest I was going to get to LARPing was breaking out a tweed jacket!

      I've not seen many photos yet, but it seems smaller and fewer cosplayers than last year.

      Delete
  5. Hope you both feel better soon. I wasn't feeling too good at the weekend so I didn't do any painting when I had a few clear hours to do so, which made me feel worse. Missing Diceni must have been particularly annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I was annoyed - it's one of my few physical forays into the hobby world...

      Delete
  6. Hope you're feeling better soon, Edwin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm . . . . Haven't been able to do much myself lately, but for reading. There does seem to be a fair bit of it about currently. On the upside, the hobby doesn't perish or have a sell by date, so it'll still be there for your resurgence.
    I think the key thing is not to get hung up about it as it only compounds things. Better to let things flow.
    I normally charge for consultations, but you can have this one for nothing (which is probably what it's worth). 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, lead doesn't go off fortunately.

      Glad to hear your still reading - need to restock then?

      Delete
    2. Get thee behind me Satan!

      Delete
  8. Edwin! Sounds like you need a shot in the arm to get the hobby juices flowing again.

    If painting is dormant, have you considered a solo game? When the guys cannot get our schedules aligned, I find solace in solo gaming.

    If you still have my email address, drop me a note and we can see what can be conjured up.

    Take care of yourself, my friend!

    ReplyDelete